Governor's Awards Nomination Packet
The Governor of South Carolina may bestow upon an individual The Order of the Palmetto, The Order of the Silver Crescent, or The Certificate of Appreciation. These prestigious awards recognize those who have made significant contributions to the life and well-being of South Carolina and her people. Governor John C. West presented the first Order of the Palmetto in the summer of 1971. The Order of the Silver Crescent was established by Governor David Beasley in 1997 and modified in 1999 by Governor Jim Hodges. The Certificate of Appreciation was created under Governor Nikki R. Haley in 2011. While the usage of these awards has varied over the years, they have always been utilized to recognize outstanding achievements, service, and contributions to South Carolina.
Descriptions of Awards
The Order of the Palmetto is the state’s highest civilian honor awarded to citizens of South Carolina for extraordinary lifetime service and achievements of national or statewide significance. The Order of the Palmetto is a once in a lifetime achievement.
The Order of the Silver Crescent is the state’s highest civilian award for significant contributions, leadership, volunteerism, and lifelong influence within a region or community. The Order of the Silver Crescent is a once in a lifetime achievement.
The Certificate of Appreciation is awarded to recognize an individual’s outstanding achievement, commitment, act, or devotion within a community.
Haley Mottel at 803.734.0082 or email@example.com.
• Governor’s Awards are awarded to recognize civilian service and achievements.
• To ensure the nominee’s consideration, please adhere to all of the nomination guidelines. In order for a nomination to be processed, a nominator must submit all required materials.
• If a nomination packet is incomplete, the nomination will remain open, but will not be processed until all required information is submitted.
• The nominator on the Governor’s Awards Nomination Form will be notified by the Governor’s Office upon receiving a complete nomination packet.
• The review process requires at least 45 days. The nominator on the Governor’s Awards Nomination Form will be notified by the Governor’s Office with a final decision.
• Nominees are considered for each of the Governor’s Awards.
• Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
• Nomination packets will be accepted by mail or hand delivery. Facsimiles will not be accepted.
• All nominees are subject to a background check administered by South Carolina Law Enforcement Department.
To Submit the Nomination Packet
By Mail: Hand Delivery:
Office of the Governor South Carolina Statehouse
Attention: Haley Mottel Office of the Governor
1205 Pendleton Street First Floor
Columbia, South Carolina 29201 Attention: Haley Mottel